With the expansion of 650 acres of terrain, Steamboat will become Colorado’s second-largest ski area. This added terrain provides Alterra Mountain Company the opportunity to embark on significant investments in on-mountain improvements and redevelopment of the base area to create a world-class guest experience that matches the resort’s long-recognized industry excellence.
Steamboat’s Gondola Square will be redeveloped into a multi-use, amenity-rich plaza with additional dining and après, shopping, entertainment and welcoming gathering places for guests to enjoy year-round.
The redevelopment consists of the relocation of required infrastructure, development of new public amenities, demolition of existing structures, and construction of new buildings. The overall improvements plan, including on-mountain and base area enhancements, is anticipated to occur during the off-seasons of 2021 through 2023.The project consists of the following improvements:
- Demolition of the existing 3-story Gondola Building and subsequent to the relocation of the gondola loading area up the mountain.
- A new one-story, a 24,212-square-foot structure located below the Plaza and fronting the adjacent Promenade.
- A new ice rink located above the Promenade Building.
- Demolition and redevelopment of the existing stage structure.
- Landscape, lighting, and public amenity improvements located throughout the Plaza.
- Potential future Plaza-facing buildings to create additional amenities.
- All applicable structures will pursue LEED certification.
Renderings courtesy of Gensler.